It’s our 75th anniversary: Preserving the Ukrainian Canadian story since 1944.
The Ontario Branch of the Ukrainian Museum of Canada was established in 1944 at the Kn. Olha Branch of the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada, based at St. Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral in Toronto. After 35 years at that location, the Museum moved to larger facilities within St. Vladimir Institute, where it is located today.
The modest collection of significant artifacts amassed by Ontario Branch founders Jean Wachna, Dorothy Hutsulak-Mandziuk and Kalyna Sakaliuk has grown over the decades. Today, the Museum houses more than 5,000 artifacts, predominantly textiles, that have been collected, researched, documented, photographed and preserved to professional museum standards by a cast of dedicated volunteers.
Since 1980, Museum volunteers have produced at least one major thematic exhibit annually, many complemented by special programming for school groups and others. We draw on our own collections, as well as artefacts from community members and other institutions. Some of our exhibits travel to community festivals, conferences and symposia. Our Museum attracts visitors of diverse heritage from across North America, Ukraine and beyond.
The Ukrainian Museum of Canada, Ontario Branch is proud to be a member of the Canadian Museums Association and the Ontario Museum Association. We are a registered not-for-profit organization. Charitable # 885921817RR0001.